This is a heart warming soup indeed… especially in this chilly weather.
Spicy Red Lentil Soup
4 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon coriander powder
1 large onion, chopped and diced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
4 carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 cup red lentils; uncooked, washed, rinsed in cold water
4 cups warm water
sea salt, to taste
pepper, freshly ground
Olive oil, drizzled on top
parsley or coriander; fresh, finely chopped
1 cup plain yogurt, whole milk and Greek (optional)
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the turmeric, cumin and coriander. Stir until fragrant. Add the onion and sauté until softened.
2. Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, turnip and thyme. Cook for a minute or so while stirring.
3. Add the rinsed lentils and warm water. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until the vegetables and lentils are soft.
4. Carefully ladle the soup into a blender (you may need to do this in batches).
Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Blend on high speed until as smooth as possible. Season to taste and add more water to thin if desired.
5. Serve hot with a grind of pepper on top and a drizzle of olive oil. Garnish with chopped coriander or parsley. If desired, Greek yogurt served on the side goes very nicely with this soup.
6. Serve hot with a grind of pepper on top and a drizzle of olive oil. Garnish with chopped coriander or parsley. If desired, Greek yogurt served on the side, goes very nicely with this creamy soup.
Serves 6 to 8