This is an other very special recipe that was generously shared to me from my mother in law with yufka pastry or phylo is where all the magic lies, so make sure you get it fresh . You can use your imagination and use spinach and herb filling with some cheese too, or mince meat, I will prepare a new recipe and post soon.
*You can buy the best yulfka in Greece from Benito Delicatessen
This is fresh yulfka pastry which is moist and very fresh. I score in the middle and make a “cross”, …
Round Cheese Borek
2 to 3 *Yulfka phylo round sheets, round pieces
150 g Feta cheese, crumbled
200 mixture of cheeses (Gruyere, Kaseri, or any kind of yellow cheese), grated
1 fresh egg
200 g yogurt, Greek and fresh
100 g butter, melted
butter (for buttering the dish)
1½ cups fresh milk,
2 tablespoons Nigella seeds
- In a bowl add the crumbled feta cheese and the grated yellow cheeses. Mix in the egg and yogurt. Combine.
- Butter a 30 cm round pie dish.
- Lay a single layer of the round Yulfka filo out on a clean surface. Score through the middle (making a cross). Place a full tablespoon of mixture in each of the four corners of this cross. Wrap diagonally down from the top edge (where the mixture is). Finally, take each of these, and roll them from one of their two edges into a spiral (snail shape)
- Arrange each round piece of cheese spiral in the dish. Brush the melted butter on top and around the edges of each piece.
- Pour milk over the top and sprinkle with Nigella seeds.
- Bake for approx. 45 minutes to an hour (depending on the oven) until the pie is crisp and has a golden color.
You can buy fresh yulfka from Benito Delicatesen in Glyfada http://www.benitodelicatessen.gr