A Little Gem…
Packed with goodness, it only takes a small amount to fill you up with B vitamins and good protein. Add a combination of seasonal vegetables and herbs and you got yourself a new recipe each time.
Fresh peas and avocados, paired with basil, chives and fresh onions…Dressed with lemon, mustard and maple syrup, or substitute with honey .
Lemon Herb Quinoa with Spring Peas, Avocado and Basil
1 cup quinoa, rinsed in cold water
2 cups water, cold
1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
½ avocado, cut into small cubes
3 spring onions, finely chopped
¼ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chives, chopped
¼ cup shelled hemp seeds (optional)
For the dressing:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon maple syrup
sea salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. For the quinoa: Rinse the quinoa. In a medium saucepan add the rinsed quinoa to 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. (Note, at this time put the peas on to boil as well; see number 4, “For the peas” below)
2. After bringing the quinoa to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and while cooking leave the lid of the saucepan slightly ajar. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the quinoa is plump, the water is absorbed, and the tiny outer “shells” of the quinoa grain start to come loose in the pot.
3. Remove quinoa from the heat and let it stand, covered, for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
4. For the peas: While the quinoa is cooking, boil the peas until tender. Drain and set aside.
5. Quinoa mixture: In a large bowl mix together quinoa, peas, avocado, spring onions, basil, chives, and hemp seeds.
6. For the dressing: In a small bowl whisk together the oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, sea salt, and black pepper.
7. Pour the dressing over the quinoa mixture, and serve warm or cold. This dish keeps very well (although the basil might turn a little dark) in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
TIP: Hemp seeds may be optional but they are a sensational power food that will upgrade this dish to whole new levels of goodness.
Serves: 4 to 6 as a side dish