Ours is a cake-loving house with many different recipes to play the lead each week…
As there is always a fresh loaf on the kitchen table, perfect to accompany friends’ coffees or my sons’ early afternoon snacks.
This recipe was handed down to me by my mother-in-law Lilly, and it really took some time to reach perfection…trying to play around with baking times created different versions that were too dry or overly moist…
So, the hidden lesson here is to make sure you follow instructions to the very last detail, as this is a fine-tuned recipe that accepts no excuses…
But what a rewarding treat awaits you when you get it right! Soft, moist and rich on the inside, crumbly and crunchy on the outside, a pure symphony of instant coffee, bittersweet chocolate and fresh eggs…choose only the best ingredients for this one, it really is worth it!
Lilly’s Instant Coffee and Chocolate Cake
175 g butter, softened in room temperature
1½ cups sugar
2 cups self-rising flour
3 tablespoons Nescafe instant coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
250 g bitter sweet chocolate, best quality
½ cup warm water
1.Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
Grease a round bundt pan with butter and dust with flour.
2 .For the chocolate: Melt the chocolate with 2 tablespoons of water in a double broiler and set aside.
3. For the butter/egg/sugar mixture: In a large bowl beat the butter on medium high in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add the sugar. Beat until creamy and fluffy, 4 to 6 minutes. Gradually beat in the eggs.
5. For the flour mixture: In a medium bowl, add flour, Nescafe, vanilla and baking powder.
6. Add the flour mixture in 3 portions to the butter/egg/sugar mixture alternating with the warm water and scrapping down the bowl and beating until smooth after each addition.
When the two mixtures are mixed together add the melted chocolate. Lightly combine and mix.
7. .Spoon the batter into the pan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for another 8 minutes.
8. Allow the cake to cool completely while in the pan. The cake settles as it cools and it is crunchy on the outside and juicy on the inside.
Turn the cake to a serving plate and sprinkle some icing sugar over the top. Keeps fresh for 2-3 days covered.