There is something so comforting in basic, simple recipes…no matter how far you can go on your culinary endeavours; there is no match for an uncomplicated cake next to a cup of coffee or tea, any time of the day.
There are many variations to the basic recipe…orange juice, walnuts, almonds, lemon…here, the lemon tang is prominent, with just a little bit of fresh ginger in the background, to bring a subtle warmth. Greek yogurt is a favourite ingredient in any cake, as it offers a slightly rich and moist texture… the almonds used are finely chopped, making their presence discreet and subtle to the bite…
Stored in a glass container, this cake will keep fresh for days…sprinkle some icing sugar on top and add a bit more right before you serve it. As for the brandy in the ingredients list? You will know why it is so important even before the rewarding aftertaste when the scent of sophistication invites you for a quick coffee-and-cake break.
Lemon & Ginger Cake with Almonds
230 g butter, unsalted
2 cups soft light brown sugar
3 medium sized eggs, at room temperature
2 cups self-rising flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup yogurt, whole milk and Greek zest of one lime, finely grated
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely grated
3 tablespoons lime juice
¼ cup brandy Metaxa
1½ cup white almonds, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F). Grease a bundt cake pan with softened butter and sprinkle some flour to cover the pan.
2. For the batter: In a large bowl, cream the butter and light brown sugar with a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, at a medium-high speed, until pale and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Add the eggs, one by one, beating well in between each addition.
3. Flour mixture: In a separate bowl sift together the seed rising flour, salt, baking soda and ground ginger.
4. Yogurt mixture: In a smaller bowl mix together the yogurt, vanilla, lime zest , grated fresh ginger , lime juice and brandy.
5. At a reduced speed gently add the flour mixture to the batter, alternating with the yogurt mixture. Fold in the chopped almonds and mix for a minute at a low rhythm until almonds blend into the mixture.
6. Pour the batter into the greased and floured bundt pan. Bake in the oven for 1 hour.
7. Remove from the oven and let cool for 20 to 30 minutes before turning over on your serving platter. Place cake right side up. When cool, dust with icing sugar.