This is another variation of Apple Crumble mixed with fruit spice filling… I like to make it at Christmas..Served around the coffee table with friends and family …
Along with some excellent quality vanilla ice cream!
A brew a large pot of coffee and just take in the ginger, nutmeg and orange zest aromas filling up the room.
Christmas Apple Crumble with Spiced Fruit Filling
6 apples, peeled, cored, sliced ½ cm thick
1 cup spicy fruit filling for pies (made in advance)
1 tablespoon orange zest
¼ cup all purpose white flour
4 tablespoons brown sugar
½ cup pecan nuts, chopped
½ teaspoon cinnamon
For the topping:
1 cup all purpose white flour
¾ cup light brown sugar
pinch of salt
220 g unsalted butter, unsalted cut into cubes
1 cup ginger biscuits , crushed or homemade granola
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¾ cup pecan nuts, crushed
1. Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 180°C (350°F).Butter a deep pie round dish.
2. For the topping: Using a stand mixer or a food processor, pulse flour, light brown sugar and salt. Add the butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Add the crushed ginger biscuits or “homemade granola”, cinnamon and nutmeg and pulse to combine it all. Transfer to a bowl.
3. To make the fruit filling: In the order written, combine in a bowl the sliced and cored apples, “fruit filling for pies” orange zest, flour (sprinkle it), brown sugar and cinnamon. Toss ingredients together. Spread the fruit filling in the buttered dish.
Using your fingertips, press the topping into large clumps and scatter over the fruit. Sprinkle the crushed pecan nuts and some cinnamon on top.
4. Bake until the topping is golden and crisp, about 45 minutes.
5. Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or, if you prefer, vanilla ice cream. Preferably eaten on the same day, otherwise it can lose its crunchy texture.
Serves 8 to 10