A cake is always a staple at my home…
This is a basic recipe of flour, eggs and sugar, there is no limit to what you can create: Just choose your favourite nuts, combine them with lime, lemon or orange, and you will have a sure winner.
Such is the case with this recipe, found on page 210 of my book Sandra Loves.
Pistachios top every other nut on the list, when it comes to their protein content? This little green gem, contains most of the nutrients required for our overall health.
The of the aromatic nut oil warming up in the oven, along with the citrus zest in this moist and deliciously fluffy cake that will fill your afternoon with fragrance, elegance and flavour.
Lemon and pistachio cake
The waxy green of the pistachios plus the citrus zest make this moist and flavourful cake an incredible combination of fragrance, elegance and comfort. It blends beautifully with whipped cream and truffled honey…
230 g butter, unsalted, at room temperature
2 cups white sugar
4 medium size eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups self-rising flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup yogurt; plain, from whole milk, Greek
2 tablespoons Drambuie or brandy
1½ cup chopped pistachio nuts
2 tablespoons lemon or lime zest, finely grated
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F). Grease (with softened butter) and flour a bundt cake pan. Make sure to cover pan entirely.
2. Flour mixture: In a big bowl sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
3. Yogurt mixture: In another smaller bowl, mix together the yogurt, vanilla and Drambuie.
4. Batter: In a stand mixer, fitted with paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar, at a medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Reduce the speed to low and gently add the flour mixture to the batter, alternating with the yogurt mixture. Fold in the chopped pistachio and lemon or lime peel. Mix for a minute on a low rhythm until nuts and peel blend into the mixture.
5. Pour the batter into the greased and floured bundt pan. Bake in the oven for 1 hour.
6. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before turning over on your serving plate. Place cake right side up. When cool, sprinkle with ground pistachio nuts.